Luanda - Angola's president has sacked his intelligence
and state security chief, state media reported on Friday, amid allegations
linking the sector's staff to the disappearance of two activists.
The Jornal de Angola reported that Jose Eduardo Dos
Santos on Thursday "relieved Sebastiao Jose Antonio Martins of his
duties" without giving reasons for the decision.
The move comes two days after the announcement that four
people had been detained on suspicion of having kidnapped, and probably killed,
The two men went missing in May last year when they tried
to organise a protest.
Some of the suspects worked in intelligence and security,
according to a website providing information on Angola which is widely quoted
by some media, social networks and the political opposition.
"It is the president who should resign and not the
ministers, directors or heads of departments because it is the president, and
only he, who is in charge," said the main opposition, the National Union
for the Total Independence of Angola (Unita), at a press conference on Friday.
The party said it was planning a protest against state
abuse and violence on 23 November.
Angola's opposition, civil society and international NGOs
have been calling on the authorities to shed light on Isaias Cassule and Alves
Kamulingue who went missing on 27 and 29 May.
In power since 1979, Dos Santos was re-elected in August
last year, despite growing social protest.
Angola emerged from a brutal civil war in 2002 and has
enjoyed fast economic growth thanks to its oil riches but the majority of its
people continue to live in poverty.