Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea: Toll from protest rises to 12

28 May 2013, 11:09

Conakry - At least 12 people have been killed in Guinea during five days of protests over preparations for a legislative election, the government of the West African state said on Monday.

Guinea's opposition called its members onto the streets in March to protest at the government's plan to go ahead with the vote on June 30, over fears the vote will be rigged.

More than 50 people have been killed in total and about 350 wounded since the protests began.

Opposition leaders temporarily suspended demonstrations this month to allow the UN-brokered talks with the government to take place but later called for the renewed protests, accusing President Alpha Conde of sabotaging the negotiations.

The protests have, however, degenerated into looting and ethnic clashes between Guinea's two main tribes; the Malinke supporters of Conde and the mostly Peul opposition backers.

"Since May 21, almost daily violence has been recorded in some Conakry suburbs, specifically in Bambeto Coza-axis [an opposition stronghold]," government spokesperson Damantang Albert Camara said.

Camara, citing hospital and security officials, said 12 people had been confirmed dead since then, including seven shot dead when Guinean security forces clashed with opposition protesters in the seaside capital of the world's top bauxite producing nation. He did not say how the other five died.

Guinea's opposition says it was not consulted before the government announced the date for the election and says voter lists are being revised in favour of Conde's allies.

They are calling for the company contracted by the government to revise voter lists, South African firm Waymark, to be replaced and are demanding that Guineans abroad be allowed to vote.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...