Addis Ababa -The Ethiopian Government has dispelled rumours of alleged cases of the Ebola in the country.
An East Africa correspondent reports that information that Ebola may have been brought into the country by two Chinese who travelled to Nigeria went viral in Addis Ababa last week.
Ahmed Amano, the Director, Communication, at the Ethiopian Ministry of Health, told the media in Addis Ababa that the two Chinese national tested negative to the Ebola virus.
Also Read: US lauds efforts to stop Ebola spread
The Chinese were treated for malaria after being admitted at the Korean hospital in Addis Ababa, he said.
Amano said the Ethiopian Government had taken measures to prevent the spread of the virus, including screening of passengers from West Africa on arrival at Bole international airport in Addis Ababa.
“The airport is already checking passengers who are coming from West Africa countries with cases of Ebola.”
The media recalls that the Ethiopian Government has established a National Committee on Ebola, headed by the Prime Minister, Hailemariam Dessalegn.
Also Read: Air Force embarks on Ebola awareness exercise
The health official said a special treatment centre with 15 beds had been provided with three special ambulances in case Ebola patients are detected in the country.
He said another task force set up by government was in the process of importing protective equipment for the health professionals.
Nigeria’s Ambassador to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to the AU, Paul Lolo, said the Embassy was not aware of any case of the Chinese national who allegedly travelled from Nigeria.
Lolo reiterated Nigerian Government’s commitment to containing spread of Ebola virus after a Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, brought the disease to Lagos on July 20.