New York - Attackers killed a Pakistani peacekeeper in an
ambush on Tuesday in strife-torn eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the
United Nations announced.
The UN leader Ban Ki-moon was "appalled" by the
latest attack on UN peacekeepers and an investigation has been started, said spokesperson
The attack was staged in South Kivu province on a UN mission
military convoy "by unidentified assailants", Nesirky said.
Various armed groups operate in South Kivu but it is not a
stronghold of the M23 group, which launched an offensive against DRC government
forces and the UN peacekeepers in North Kivu province late last year.
Ban "condemns in the strongest terms the killing of a
Pakistani peacekeeper in this attack. He recalls that the killing of
peacekeepers is a war crime that falls under the jurisdiction of the
International Criminal Court," said his spokesperson.
The UN leader "offers his sincerest condolences and
sympathy to the family of the victim, and to the government of Pakistan".
Ban called on the DRC government to "bring the
perpetrators of this crime to justice," Nesirky added.
Pakistan is a key contributor to the UN force in DRC,
officially known as Monusco, which is one of the biggest in the world with more
than 17 750 troops and military observers and 1 400 police.
The UN Security Council voted in March to create an
additional intervention brigade of more than 2 500 troops in eastern DRC to
take on armed groups such as M23.
The special force, the first to be given an offensive
mandate, is expected to start deploying in coming weeks and will be made up of
troops from South Africa, Malawi and Tanzania.