Johannesburg - The South African presidency denied reports on Saturday that former president Nelson Mandela had been discharged from a Pretoria hospital.
"The presidency has noted incorrect media reports that Nelson Mandela has been discharged from hospital," spokesperson Mac Maharaj said in a statement.
"Madiba is still in hospital in Pretoria, and remains in a critical but stable condition. At times his condition becomes unstable, but he responds to medical interventions."
Maharaj was responding to various reports from the international media that the 95-year-old elder statesman was discharged from the Medi-Clinic Heart hospital in Pretoria in the early hours of Saturday morning and returned to his Johannesburg home.
Sky News reported Mandela had a "hospital ward" in his house so his team of doctors would be able to monitor him around the clock.
The British news channel said it had spoken to one of Mandela's daughters who did not want to be named.
BBC News also reported Mandela had been discharged from hospital.
On 24 August, the presidency said Mandela remained in a critical but stable condition but at times became unstable.
"While at times, his condition becomes unstable, the doctors indicate that the former president has demonstrated great resilience and his condition tends to stabilise as a result of medical interventions," Maharaj said at the time.
He said doctors were working hard to effect a turnaround, improve Mandela's health and keep him comfortable.
Mandela is being treated for a recurring lung infection. He was admitted to hospital on 8 June this year.