Maseru - Lesotho Times journalist Keiso Mohloboli has fled her home country Lesotho to neighbouring South Africa amid fears for her safety, a regional media monitoring agency said on Tuesday.
In a statement, the head of the Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA) in Lesotho, Tsebo Mats’asa, said Mohloboli left Lesotho on Monday.
Her departure followed the shooting of the newspaper's editor Lloyd Mutangamiri on Saturday, July 9. Mutungamiri was shot by unknown assailants on the driveway of his home in the capital Maseru.
His wife, Tsitsi Matope, insisted that the country's army was behind her husbands failed assassination attempt.
The Zimbabwean-born editor was last week Friday transferred to a South African hospital in Bloemfontein as fears about his safety mounted.
Reports indicated that after the publishing of an article exposing an alleged secret exit package of R43 million for the country's army commander Lieutenant General Tlali Kamoli , the reporter Mohloboli together with Mutangamiri were summoned by police for questioning.
According to MISA, Mohloboli was supported by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) in fleeing the southern African country.
The statement said that she was forced to leave Lesotho following an open letter by non-managerial staffers from Africa Media Holdings (AMH), the publishers of the Lesotho Times and the Sunday Express papers, in which they expressed concern that their "security as watchdogs of this democratic state is under threat".
The letter was addressed to Lesotho's Minister of Communications, Khotso Letsatsi.
- News 24