Harare - A toddler from Zimbabwe's Gutu area has been burnt beyond recognition after accidentally setting a broken down vehicle alight, The Chronicle reports.
The deceased 3-year-old, Blessing Mukombe, was said to have been playing in the car with his older brother when the incident took place.
While his brother managed to escape unscathed, Blessing was trapped and burnt beyond recognition.
Police confirmed the incident, saying that the child's body has been transported to a nearby mortuary for a postmortem examination.
"While playing in the vehicle, Blessing, who had matchsticks, allegedly lit some rubber from a torn car seat, thereby causing an inferno which engulfed the vehicle. Sensing danger, the elder brother escaped through a broken window," Mazula was quoted as saying.
The development came just months after two minors died after a hut they were sleeping in caught fire.
According to a separate report by The Chronicle, the teenage mother of the children left a candle alight in the hut as she went fishing.
The deceased, aged one year and seven months respectively, were said to have been burnt beyond recognition following the inferno.