Lagos - The acting Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Dr Sarah Alade, on Wednesday said no serious damage was recorded in the fire incident which engulfed the bank’s office annex in Lagos on Tuesday.
Alade disclosed this while on a visit to the affected building to determine the extent of the damage.
She attributed the cause of the fire to "electrical spark" which destroyed some furniture and personal effects of some Lagos staff.
Alade promised that, some records destroyed by the fire, would be recovered by the Disaster Recovering Unit of the bank.
"There was no loss of life. In terms of documents, only few were lost and we have back up for that.
"Mostly, personal effects were lost and which can be replaced," she said.
The CBN boss, however, said that the incident affected foreign exchange trading for one day.
According to her, the workers occupying the affected building and which had already been earmarked for demolition, would be relocated to a new building in the premises.
Alade also said that the fire did not affect the governor's office as earlier reported by some media.
She said that the incident affected the first floor of the affected building housing the banking hall.
Alade said that CBN engineers would visit the site on Thursday, March 27, to determine the structural integrity of affected building. -
NAN For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.