Lagos- The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has thrown a lifeline to subscribers whose Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) cards were blocked at the end of last month.
In a statement to CAJ News on Tuesday, the regulator of the local telecommunications industry said it had opened a SIM card registration window for these subscribers to register their lines.
This follows appeals by subscribers and mobile for the extension of the registration deadline as problems had characterised the exercise.
NCC spokesperson, Reuben Mouka, said subscribers whose line had been blocked can activate them at the telecommunications companies.
The commission had on June 30 mandated all telecoms companies in the country to block all unregistered SIM cards.
The commission also threatened to sanction any operator that failed to blocked unregistered lines on its network.
The directive according to the commission was to enable the country to, among other things, address its security challenges.
The president of the National Association of Telecommunications Subscribers (NATCOMS), Deolu Ogunbanjo, welcomed the lifeline NCC has thrown subscribers.
NATCOMS and the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria have been at the forefront of calls to extend the registration deadline.
While the number of deactivated cards could not be ascertained, 75 percent of Nigeria's 160 million population are mobile subscribers.
- CAJ News