Lagos - The Osun State Government has threatened to pull down all MTN masts in the state following claims that the company had refused to pay a N399, 4 million fee for right of way permit.
The state claimed in a statement that MTN had agreed to pay the accumulated fee by April 15 but had reneged on the agreement.
The Acting Chairman of the State Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Dayo Oyebanji, said the state would be left with "no other option" but to confiscate the telecom operator's masts.
Oyebanji did not give an specific time that the action would be carried but said MTN had not shown "seriousness" to pay the fee.
He recalled that the state had initially seized some masts belonging to MTN but later released them after appeals from a stakeholder in the sector.
Since then, Oyebanji said, MTN had not made an efforts to pay the money or communicate with his agency on the issue.
The state's official letter communicating to MTN the intention to seize the masts reads,“Please be informed that the issue of non-payment constituted one of the reasons why we distrained five of your mast base stations in our state on April 7, which were released on April 9, based on the mutual understanding with Mr. Samuel Seton during our meeting on April 8 that the payment should be effected on or before April 15."
The state continued, "We therefore wish to express our disappointment on the failure of your organisation to fulfill your civic responsibility in respect of this payment despite several demand notices.
"In this regard, we are therefore left with no other option than to confiscate your base stations in our state provided we do not receive payment on or before the close of business on April 25 to the coffer of the state government."
MTN Corporations Communications Manager, Funmi Omogbenigun, did not respond to inquiries on the issue.
- CAJ News
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.