A ballot box filled with ballot is pictured before being counted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) at a polling station in Yenagoa in Bayelsa State ~ PIUS UTOMI EKPEI
Abuja - Here are some facts you don’t know about the new Senate president, Bukola Saraki.
1. He was born in 19 December, 1962.
2. His father is Late Dr. Abubakar Olusola Saraki, a one time Senate leader (1979 – 1983) in Nigeria.
3. He studied Medicine at the London Hospital Medical College of the University of London from 1982 to 1987 and practiced as a medical doctor at Rush Green Hospital, London.
Also read: Saraki emerges new Senate President
4. His political career started when he was appointed by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo his special assistant on budget issues in 2000.
5. He was the one who initiated the Fiscal Responsibility Bill and served on the Economic Policy Coordination Committee.
6. On 2003 under the umbrella of the then ruling party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), he ran for and won the governorship of Kwara State.
7. He was re-elected in 2007.
8. He was the first Nigerian governor to be awarded the national honour, a Commander of the Order of
the Niger (CON).
9. Many governors have tried to copy Saraki’s community health insurance scheme, environmental ‘Clean and Green’ scheme and agricultural transformation scheme, which have been praised as one of the reasons Kwara is a profitable
and clean state.
10. Before becoming a senator, he was the former chairman of the Nigerian Governor’s Forum.