Supporters ride in a campaign bus of leading opposition All Progressive Congress (APC) presidential candidate Mohammadu Buhari and his running mate Yemi Osinbajo as they drive past a campaign poster of Nigerian President and candidate to his re-elect ~ PIUS UTOMI EKPEI
Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday reassured the nation of his commitment to the sanctity of May 29, 2015 as the terminal date of his first term in office.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Presidency on the adjustment of the dates for the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from February 14 and February 28 to March 28 and April 11.
The statement signed by Dr Reuben Abati, the president’s Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, said that Jonathan strongly reaffirmed that May 29 had been, and would remain sacrosanct.
It said that the president “appeals to all stakeholders to accept the adjustment of the election dates by INEC in good faith.”
Also Read: Kogi will not disappoint Jonathan – Gov. Wada
“The electoral body has a responsibility to conduct credible elections in which every Nigerian of voting age is afforded the opportunity to exercise his/her civic right without any form of hindrance,” it added.
The statement said that Jonathan believed that this was not a time to trade blames or make statements that might overheat the polity, but a time to show understanding and support INEC to conduct successful elections.
“It is the President’s understanding that INEC’s decision ought not to generate acrimony since it acted within its powers under the law and in consultation with all relevant stakeholders,” it stated.
It called on the international community, civil societies and the electorate to continue to support Jonathan’s administration’s commitment to a free, fair, credible, and non-violent electoral process.