The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), formerly known as Action Congress (AC), is a classical liberal Nigerian political party formed via the merger of the Alliance for Democracy, the Justice Party, the Advanced Congress of Democrats, and several other minor political parties in September 2006.
The Party controls six States Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Oshun and Ekiti States in the South West Zone and Edo State in the South South. It also has very strong presence in Anambra, Benue, Adamawa, Kogi, Kwara and Jigawa States.
The aims and objectives of the party shall include the following:-
• To uphold and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and other laws in the Federation.
• The attainment of political power through legitimate, democratic and constitutional means for the purpose of cultivating an egalitarian society based on the principles of equality, freedom and social justice.
• To provide a purposeful and integrity driven leadership for Nigerians.
• To promote unity and political stability by ensuring access to power and key public offices by all sections of the country.
• To establish conditions and structures which shall guarantee social justice, equal opportunities, social, economic, and political freedom for the people and ensure the general welfare of all peoples of Nigeria.
• To defend the sovereignty of the people and the observance of open democratic process in all organs of party, government and state.
• To reduce poverty, want, ignorance, discrimination of all kinds, corruption, and exploitation in our society
• To maintain and promote the multi religious character of Nigeria, as well as religious tolerance and harmony.
• To encourage the development of agriculture, commerce and industry.
• To ensure purposeful mobilization of the creativity and resources of the people of Nigeria for the establishment of an economic environment in which opportunities for the fulfillment of life and the pursuit of happiness shall be open to all Nigerians; and a fair and equitable distribution of the wealth of the Nation.
• To promote active participation of Nigerians in the strategic sectors of the economy.
• To create enabling environment for full and gainful employment for all Nigerians who are able and willing to work, and to secure for workers full fruits and benefits of their labor.
• To provide the basic necessities of life, e.g. food, potable water, roads, security, recreation facilities, environmental protection etc.
• To provide (where and when practicable) free universal education at all levels and free health for all.
• To protect the interest of Nigeria and Nigerians and to strive to obtain for them the greatest possible returns for their labor.
• To embark on integrated rural development aimed at enhancing the quality of life of rural dwellers.
• To co-operate with trade union organizations, professional groups and co-operative movements for the economic progress of Nigeria.
• To create conditions for the purposeful development of youth and for the development of their leadership capability to manage national institutions and resources effectively.
• To create opportunities for, and encourage full development of the political, cultural and economic potentials of the Nigerian woman.
• To protect and promote the rights of the child to achieve optimum development.
• To pursue a dynamic foreign policy aimed at;
• Friendly and reciprocal relations with all states;
• Political and economic progress of Nigerians and peoples of African descent in particular and all oppressed people of the world in general;
• Promotion of the cultural values of Nigerians and African people all over the world, and
• International peace and security, harmony and co-operation.
• To organize branches throughout the Federation, sponsor candidates and canvass for their election into offices.
• To foster and defend the freedom of the press and the fundamental freedoms and human rights of all Nigerians.
• To co-operate with any institution or association for the purpose of achieving the objectives of the party.
• To ensure that the policies and programs of the party shall be in conformity with the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; and that accordingly, the party shall at all times pursue the political, economic, social, educational and other fundamental objectives as well as the Directive Principles of State Policy provided for in the said Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
• To promote the development of science and technology.
To undertake any activities and adopt any measures or policies which shall aim at improving the general conditions and well-being of all.National Chairman:
Chief Adebisi Bamidele AkandeNational Secretary:
Alhaji Bashir DalhatuNational Treasurer:
Dr. Alex IdehFinancial Secretary:
Mrs. Ezuma E.O.National Legal Adviser:
Dr. Ramatu SaleAddress:
Plot 779 Ona Crescent, Off Lake Chad Crescent, Maitama, ABUJA
Phone +234 (0)9 413 9999
In February 2013, the party announced plans to merge with the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), and a faction of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to form the All Progressives Congress (APC) and was finally consummated in July 2013 with Akande still presiding, albeit as the interim chairman.Source: nigeraelections.org; http://allafrica.com/stories/201401220812.html