Cape Town – Christmas is in the air and we’ve got something to entertain you while decorating your home, deciding on what meals to prepare, or getting your Christmas shopping done.
So, if you’re stuck between gobbling down your roast and listening to boring chatter this Christmas Day we've got the perfect thing for you!
Here are 12 cool facts that are bound to stir up interesting conversation around your dinner table.
1. Mistletoe means dung twig. They grow from bird droppings that have fallen on trees with seeds having passed through the digestive tract of birds.
2. Jingle Bells was the first song sung in space in 1965 on the Gemini 6.
3. Each year 34 – 36 million Christmas trees are produced to cope with the demand.
4. Christmas trees usually grow for about 15 years before being sold.
5. The earliest known Christmas tree decorations were apples.
6. If you counted all the gifts that were given in the song “Twelve Days of Christmas”, there would be a total of 365 gifts presented to you, a gift given each day of the year.
7. Elvis Presley’s “Elvis' Christmas Album” is the biggest selling Christmas album of all time. Selling 10 million copies.
8. Most people hang Christmas Stockings however the Dutch put their shoes out hoping to get sweets and gifts in them.
9. More diamonds are purchased around Christmas time than any other holiday.
10. Each year there are approximately 20,000 rent a Santa’s. They go through seasonal training on how to maintain a jolly attitude under pressure from the public.
11. Rudolph the Red Nose was created by an advertising writer Robert May, for the Montgomery Ward department.
12. Santa Clause is based on a real person. St Nikolas. He is the world’s most popular non-biblical Saint.
Sources: facts.randomhistory, christmasfacts, listverse, billboard, highcountrylights, todayifoundout