Abeokuta - Eight Nollywood actors, who were standing trial for assault were on Thursday, discharged and acquitted by an Abeokuta Magistrates’ Court .
The actors were arraigned on Sept. 6, 2011 on charges of assault and conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace.
The actors were Lateef Dehinde (47); Oluwagbenga Edun (34); Olanrewaju Moses (32), Musibau Raimi (51) and Omishakin Olalekan (36).
Others were Olayinka Adebanjo (41); Alamotu Akeem (51) and Feyisetan Beyioku (41).
The prosecutor, Mr Banji Songotokun, told the court that the actors were members of one of the two factions of the Association of Nigeria Theatre Practitioners (ANTP) in Ogun.
"The two groups, Mcoder and Forum, had been at loggerheads over the result of the ANTP election.
"The court after the case was brought to court ordered that no group should hold a meeting.
"Lateef Dehinde and his group called Forum, held a secret meeting at midnight, which was confirmed by the other group's delegate (Mcoder).
"The delegates, who were sent to confirm, were beaten up by the other group," he said.
The prosecutor said that the offence was committed on Sept. 6, 2011 at about 12.30 p.m. at June 12 Cultural Centre.
Songotokun further said that the alleged offences contravened Sections 249, 351 and 517 of the Criminal Code Laws of Ogun State, 2006.
The accused persons, who pleaded not guilty to the charges, were represented by Mr Adebiyi Ogundeyi.
The defence counsel said that the Forum group had held no meeting and had not breached any court order.
"The Mcoder group should not have sent anybody even if there was a meeting. They should have reported the case to the police and not taken laws into their hands," Ogundeyi said.
The Magistrate, Mrs Olufunmilola Stanley, said that the defence counsel had been able to convince the court that the accused persons were innocent.
Stanley accordingly discharged and acquitted them.