Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Filmmakers seek royalties from broadcast bodies

17 October 2014, 13:24

Lagos - What the Federal Government-approved Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) does for musicians in Nigeria, the Audio Visual Rights Society (AVRS) hopes to do so for film makers, reports The Nation

Presently stakeholders of the Nigerian motion picture industry want to secure government license for AVRS.

Chairman of AVRS, and filmmaker Mahmood Ali-Balogun, said the organization will put an end to  illegal use of intellectual property by individuals and organisations for commercial purposes, without the consent and benefit to right owners.

According to Ali-Balogun, although the society is at the stage of being licensed by the Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), everything is set for its take-off.

Balogun said although registration for membership is free, the process is very key to the operations of the society. On how royalties are shared, the AVRS boss said the money is pooled into an account.

He said that AVRS takes 30 percent of the money as stipulated in the law for administration, while the remaining 70 percent goes to the right owner.

Read more at The Nation

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.

Tags nollywood

Kaffy apologizes for her profanity

26 October 2016, 21:15

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...