With toxic-leaks and frivolous over-consumption of resources, we face major eco concerns and challenges.
Businesses are not aloof to this problem. Doing everything it takes to run a business whether it’s lighting, computing, photocopying and printing, takes a lot of energy and money.
According to a Dummet and Co press release, the move towards going green is growing momentum in the commercial property sector. With a 121% increase in the certification of green projects, it’s more than just a “trend’, it has become essential.
Practically furnish your office with these easy to apply green-thinking tips:
1. Go paperless. Cut down on printing and only print documents when there is no other way. Opt for scanning and emailing rather than printing another copy.
2. Purchase recycled paper and green office stationery, such as non-toxic highlighters.
3. Make use of non-toxic cleaning products and stationery.
4. Opt for re-usable dishware. Bring along your own mug, crockery and cutlery that you can re-use instead of throwing away so much plastic.
5. The three R’s”: Re-use, Repair and Recycle. This means more than just throwing paper in the blue box marked ‘paper’ or zapping it in the Zibby bin. Think about the things you use and how you can re-use, recycle or even repair them, like writing on both sides of one piece of paper.
6. Office plants. Doing more than enhancing the beauty and calmness of your surroundings, having plants around the office helps to clean air-born pollutants.
Image source: Instagram
7. Scent your office with essential oils. This may sound unusual, but aromatherapy oil does a lot more than infuse into your muscles during a massage. A drop of lavender or ylang ylang oil into an aromatherapy diffuser that is placed on your desk can stimulate the brain and temporarily eliminate stress while increasing your work productivity.
8. Add a salt crystal lamp to your desk. Placing a crystal salt lamp near your computer reduces the Electromagnetic pollution (EMF) created by all the electronic equipment as well as aiding in improving you concentration.
Image source: Instagram
9. Enhance natural lighting. Artificial lighting accounts for 44% of electricity use in the office building, so be sure to keep the windows unobstructed for sunlight to pour in.
10. Encourage the rest of the office to do the same. Work with your colleagues on implementing a recycling system. You could even provide incentives for green that could make recycling a lot more fun and encourage them a bit more.