Lagos - Since electricity blackouts have officially become an unwanted guest in our lives, we need to suck it up and live with the reality.
Here are a few fun things to do when the darkness hits.
1. Go outside. Sit on some grass; allow the ants to enjoy climbing your thighs. Look at the clouds and see what shapes pop up. And if the powercut hits you in the PM then look at the stars and howl like a wolf. I’m kidding. Watch the sunset, look at the stars and ponder about something sentimental.
2. Have a braai. Invite a few people over who are also dreading the sweet smell of spoilt meat the next day. Have a beer and play host to a bunch of friends.
3. Play a game. You know like monopoly, scrabble, 30 seconds, charades, Pictionary, card games. Enjoy as people debate with team members and share a few laughs.
4. Have sex. How is this not the go to activity? The lights are off, candles are the ultimate romance symbol, what are you possibly waiting for? If you don’t have anyone, then give yourself a little loving.
5. Make a bonfire and play a drinking game. I recommend “never have I…”
6. When was the last time you read a book? Light a candle and read a damn book.
7. Do a little spring cleaning; get rid of things you don’t want. You can finally frame all those nostalgic snaps.
8. Treat your neighbours to some fireworks. Just make sure the animals are safe.
9. Take a walk and people watch; you might actually see what your neighbours look like.
10. Eat. No really just eat anything and everything.
11. Listen to someone’s drama. Because you finally have time to listen to those “it’s a long story” stories.
But seriously just do something other than complain, unless this is your first power cut then go for it. There’s no use depressing everyone else, there is surely something you can do that doesn’t require electricity.
Don’t whine, have a glass of wine (I am aware that was lame), but you get my point.