I think everyone should take a moment to pause and think about things they know for certain and the lessons which have brought them to that point.
At 32, I know the following things for sure:
1. Treat the people I love in a way that ensures they always know how much they mean to me. Don't take people for granted and assume they know how I feel.
2. Don't put anything off. Never save the special lingerie or fancy shoes for a special occasion because everyday should be special.
3. Nobody is perfect. The importance of forgiving others (and myself).
4. The journey I choose to undertake in life is my choice.
5. Pursuing what makes me happy makes me a better person.
6. Not apologising for being myself. There are people who love certain quirks and characteristics - why must I water myself down to 'fit in'?
7. Knowing that it is okay to say no.
8. A friend that only values my friendship when I have something to offer but not when I stand up for yourself isn't a true friend.
9. Life is full of surprises.
10. Accepting change is a lot easier than fighting it.
11. The art of walking in high heels with minimum discomfort.
12. That I don't look good wearing most shades of yellow.
13. Tea and a good book can solve A LOT.
14. How to paint my nails in a way that I get asked which salon I visited (took decades of practice).
15. How to play squash with minimal running into the wall.
16 Being grateful for the little things in life. That long laugh during a frantic day. A thoughtful e-mail from a friend. The 'well done' from a boss on a task well done.
17. That sometimes walking away and saying nothing delivers the loudest message.
And a list of things I wish I knew (and at my age I feel I should):
1. How to say no (or put myself first) without the mental gymnastics of how the other person feels about my answer.
2. How to ask for help in the workplace without the enormous (self-imposed) guilt trip that accompanies this request.
3. The ability to let mean people's comments go over my head instead of living inside there for ages.
And a list of what I'm learning:
1. How to let things go.
2. The ability to stay calm in a stressful situation (and think outside the box) instead of panicking.
3. Living in the moment instead of fretting over the past or worrying over the future.
4. The art of baking and not muttering four letter words when it doesn't go as smoothly as the recipe promised.