Abuja - Not only do they taste really nice, but did you know that olives have a huge number of health benefits for you too?
Here are some interesting olive health facts:
- Olives eliminate excess cholesterol in the blood.
- Olives control blood pressure.
- Olives are a source of dietary fibre as an alternative to fruits and vegetables.
- Olives are a great source of Vitamin E
- Olives act as an antioxidant, protecting cells
- Olives reduce the effects of degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's, benign and malignant tumours, including less serious varicose veins and cavities
- Olives help prevent blood clots that could lead to a myocardial infarction or deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Olives protect cell membranes against diseases like cancer
- Olives are a great protection against anaemia
- Olives enhances fertility and reproductive system
- Olives play an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system, especially during oxidative stress and chronic viral diseases
- And just in case these benefits weren’t enough, they are also a great aphrodisiac.
- Olives are nutritious and rich in mineral content as sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and iodine
- Olives provide essential vitamins and amino acids.
- Olives contain oleic acid, which has beneficial properties to protect the heart.
- Olives contain polyphenols, a natural chemical that reduce oxidative stress in the brain. So by eating a daily serving of olives helps improve your memory by up to 25%.
- Just one cup of olives is a great source of iron – 4.4mg.
- Eating olives can improve the appearance of wrinkles by 20% since they contain oleic acid, which keeps skin soft and healthy.
- By eating just 10 olives before a meal, you can reduce your appetite by up to 20%. This is because the monounsaturated fatty acids contained in olives slow down the digestion process and stimulate the hormone cholecystokinin, a hormone that sends messages of fullness to the brain.
- Not only does it do that, but it also helps your body to stimulate the production of adiponectin, a chemical that burns fat for up to five hours after ingestion.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.