Problem skin? No idea why? You might be getting the basics wrong.
Of course we all want glowing complexions like Noni Gasa and Beyoncé. But great skin is anything but easy to obtain. It kind of depends on whether or not you’ve won the genetic lottery it seems.
Luckily, there are a few things you can do to ensure your chances of skin success.
1. Make sure you know your skin type
Knowing your skin type
is essential. Is it oily, combination, dry or normal?
• Normal skin: usually subtle and smooth (you are blessed if you have this ‘easy’ skin type)
• Combination skin: usually oily in the t-zone and normal in other areas of the face
• Dry skin: will show slight flaking and redness in places – it needs lots of moisturiser
• Oily skin: usually larger pores and a bit of a shine – especially in the t-zone
2. Invest in the right products for your skin type
Once you’ve figured out your skin type, be sure to use a cleanser and moisturiser that suit your skin type and its needs.
If you have very delicate, dry skin, try a creamy cleanser that won’t further dry out your skin. According to Glamour, salicylic acid cleansers and scrubs are again better for oily skin with larger pores.
In case of adult acne, be sure to consult your dermatologist for advice.
3. Remove make-up properly
No matter how tired you are at night, remove that make-up pronto! There is nothing worse than sleeping with your make-up on, it clogs the pores (blackheads!) and can even lead to skin allergies and rashes.
If you are really too lazy to remove make-up properly, i.e. make-up remover, cleanser, toner, moisturiser; at least use a wet wipe and follow with some night cream.
Be sure to apply sunscreen daily. Many people find that it clogs their pores and leads to an increase in pimples; if this is the case, use a day cream with a built-in sun block as this is usually much lighter on your skin.
Make sure it’s higher than SPF 30.
5. Hydrate, eat healthily, exercise and sleep
Yes, this is kind of a given, but it’s perhaps the most important point.
You are what you eat, sleep and do. To improve the quality of your skin, be sure to drink lots of water, follow a balanced diet, do regular exercise to sweat out all those toxins and open up the pores; and sleep enough to avoid dull skin.