“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
To sort the space you live in is to sort out your mind and simplifying your home can mean a lot less to clean and a lot less stress.
You’ll find that most of your clutter consists of miscellaneous objects.
It all begins piling up the same way; telling yourself that it might come in handy someday.
But often enough it doesn’t.
The greatest tip you will ever learn when de-cluttering your home is that if you haven’t used something during the previous 6 to 12 months, chuck it away or pass it on to someone else–in another household.
Because chances are, you probably won’t need it during the coming 6 to 12 months.
This step to deciding what stays and what goes is half the journey to a de-cluttered home; the rest is structuring your home in such a way that you should be able to find anything without going on a treasure hunt for it.
But are you to do with everything that stays? Here are a few tips:
1. Compartmentalising could be your next best friend, so don’t sweat the small things. Instead, box them up and label them.
2. For the book worms and shoe lovers, rain gutters are a lot more useful than you think.
Give one a nice coat of paint before securing it against your wall and voila! Now, either shelf your books or hang your shoes.
Quite unusual, I know, but it looks great.
3. Make your bed. This is an interesting one; your bed is often the focal point of your room. A neat bed may motivate you to de-clutter the rest of your bedroom.
4. Maintaining the structure, this may be the toughest part, buy getting rid of at least 5 items each time you clean – whether it be papers, old perfume bottles, old receipts or broken shoes – get rid of it.
5. Start a clutter-free zone: another fantastic way to keep the clutter from piling up.
Your clutter-free zone is where nothing other than what is in immediate use gets placed.
Be it a kitchen-counter top or living-room table, the trick to your clutter free zone is that it expands over time until it envelopes your entire home.