Abuja - Not all dogs are the same. Many dogs love being hugged, petted and played with. Others don't.
If you have a loveable dog or you just want your children to be around dogs they don't know, teach them these simple tricks.
1. Never touch a strange dog suddenly. Some dogs are nervous and can become vicious if approached unexpectedly.
2. Never touch a dog while it's eating. Even docile dogs can be protective of their food.
3. Don't grab or pull a dog's tail. Besides potentially hurting the animal, suddenly grabbing a dog from behind if it hasn't seen you can cause it to attack.
4. Never take a puppy from it's mother. Some dogs can become very protective of their puppies, even if they know you. Never take a puppy away from it's mother before being sure that she won't attack.
5. Sick or old dogs may not always be willing to accept affection. If the animal seems agitated, it's safer to let it sleep in peace.
6. If you know that there's a dog in someone's backyard, never put your hands over the fence. The dog may think that you're an intruder.
7. Never tease a dog. Playfully smacking it or taking it's toy may result in a nasty bite. Dogs can't always tell when we're playing and we're meaning to harm them.
8. Not all dogs enjoy being hugged. Some dogs find it too restrictive and may lash out.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!