I used to think I had a bitchy resting face until I was told otherwise by, well, basically everyone I knew. Someone recently sent me this link about stuff only people with a resting niceface will understand, and as I was reading it I was like:
THIS IS ME. ALL OF IT.
1. Old people like you instantly
And they love referring to you as a “nice young girl”.
2. There’s no escaping 'Big Issue' sellers
I could poke my eyes out and they would still be able to catch my eye.
3. Dead sea scrub promoters zone in on you
Please don’t see me. Please don’t see me. Please don’t see me.
“Hi there, ma’am. Have you…”
4. The seat next to you is always occupied
Thirty empty seats and you chose the one next to me.
5. Small talk follows you wherever you go
Nothing drains my social health bar like small talk. It takes so much strength to smile and be polite, yet I constantly find myself engaging in small talk with total strangers. “Strange weather we’re having…”
Gif: Knit York City
6. Strangers have shared their deepest secrets with you
NOOOOOOO, WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?
7. You usually get served last at a bar
Okay, maybe this is just me. But I always find myself waiting to get served at a bar. It’s probably because I always want to be nice and allow other people to get helped before me.
Gif: Auralee Wallace
8. You often find yourself in kak situations because you can’t say no
Person: Please help me to do this impossibly kak thing because I know you can’t say no.
9. People are surprised when you stand up for yourself
Sometimes I’m too scared to call a spade a spade, but I am never too scared to call a doos a doos.
10. People are usually really happy to help you
Aside from being a target for bergies, hearing awkward secrets from strangers, and always having someone choose the seat next to you… Having a resting nice face isn’t all bad.
When you’re in trouble, someone will always be keen to help you. And if that’s not a consolation, just be glad you don’t have Eminem’s problem.
Follow Anja on Twitter and read more on her blog.