Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Pitbull saves deaf boy from burning home

18 July 2014, 15:35

Abuja - On the afternoon of the 16th of July, a fire broke out in an Indianapolis home. Inside, twelve year old Nick Lamb lay sleeping, unaware of the impending danger.

Nick, who was born deaf, has cochlear implants but had taken his hearing aids out before he took a nap.  Because of this he was unable to hear the smoke alarm going off and would have remained unaware of the fire blazing within his home.

House covered in smoke

Luckily for Nick, his two-year old pitbull, Ace, came to his rescue by continuing to lick his face until he got up. Nick originally thought Ace was just looking to go outside but realised something more serious was happening when Ace wouldn’t leave him alone.

When Nick eventually got up, he realised the entire house was covered in smoke. He quickly ran out to the back yard, covering his mouth and nose with a t-shirt.

"I woke up and the house was covered with smoke and we ran out in the backyard,” said Nick.

He was given a thorough examination by medics on the scene and released without hospitalisation.

Nick was the only one at home at the time of the incident. His mother, Lindsay Bernard, had only recently decided that he was old enough to stay at home alone. She described the incident as “amazing”, stating that her son would almost certainly not have woken up if it weren’t for Ace.

After searching the house extensively, firemen emerged with the family cat, Pixie, who was unaffected by the blaze.

It is suspected that the fire originated in the garage and was caused by an electrical issue. The house was completely destroyed by the flames.

- Health24

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...