Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


The doctor's way to treat a child that swallowed bleach

15 September 2015, 10:02

Often parents will rush into the emergency room with a child that swallowed bleach.

Even though all poisonings should be examined by a doctor, swallowing bleach is rarely a life-threatening emergency. That being said, it really depends on the age of the child, the amount of bleach swallowed and the type of bleach your child ingested.

Why do children swallow bleach? Because it looks like water. Children will not, like adults, first sniff an unknown substance to figure out what is. They just go for it and take a sip. Luckily, bleach has a terrible taste, and most children never take in more than a mouthful. This small amount of bleach may cause a number of unpleasant symptoms like nausea and vomiting, but is usually not enough to cause any serious damage.

Things parents do that might make matters worse:

1. Keeping bleach in unmarked containers on low shelves is a recipe for disaster. Keep it out of the reach of children.

2. Shouting, screaming and becoming hysterical when realising one's child ingested bleach will only worsen matters and upset the child.

3. Inducing vomiting. This is not a good idea and often the worst thing you can do. In an upset child, vomiting can cause some of the vomitus to end up in the lungs. This is potentially fatal.

What parents should do:

1. Give your child 150 to 200 ml water or milk. (less or more depending on the child's age)

2. Rinse the child's mouth.

3. Take the container containing the bleach with when going to the hospital.

4. If you notice severe vomiting or difficulty breathing your child needs immediate attention.

5. Take off all clothes that might have spilled bleach on them. The fumes may upset your child and may make matters worse if they suffer from asthma.

The bottom line: keep containers with poisons away from children! It is your responsibility as a parent to ensure the safety of your child.

- Health24


Intersex explained

26 October 2016, 08:38

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...