With all the different trouser trends available recently, it’s much easier to find your perfect pair for your shape.
For some time now, the hipster skinny trouser reigned supreme and it was hard to find anything but a skinny. Not anymore. Now you have a choice of wide-leg, flared, high-waisted, mid-rise a few in-between.
Here are some tips on how to determine which cut works best for you:
Wide-leg trousers have made a big comeback. If worn correctly, they are oh so flattering especially for ladies who want to de-emphasise their hips, thighs and or elongate their legs.
How to wear wide-leg trousers:
1. The fit is key. Look for a pair that is fitted in the waist and hip and then flairs. If the fit is wide everywhere, it can make you look bigger than you are.
2. Wear them with fitted or tucked in tops and blouses. When you wear a volumous shape on the bottom, you need a fitted shape on top.
3. Wear them as long as possible with a heel. Most women will need to wear this shape with a heel for some extra height. If you can’t wear heels, make sure your length isn’t too long and wear a pointy toe flat for an elongating effect.
Flares vary in width from a simple bootleg to serious bell-bottom varieties.
How to wear flares:
1. The flare offers balance to hips, bums and tums. When the hem is wider at the bottom, it narrows everything above it. So if you are not crazy about your bottom half, these are a good shape for you. Try a few varieties to find the perfect balance between the fit at the knee and the flare of the hem.
2. They can make your legs look really long. You can wear a high heel underneath and no one will be the wiser, but make sure you wear the length as long as possible so that it covers most of your shoe.
3. This can even work if you wear flats. Just make sure that your pant length doesn’t bunch at the bottom, but is long enough to touch your shoe. This will create a long line, elongating your look.
Skinnies have been around so long that they have become a fashion classic. They aren’t the easiest shape to wear, especially if you aren’t crazy about your hips and bum. Looking good in skinny trousers is about getting the proportions right.
How to wear skinnies:
1. Cheat by wearing slim leg rather than skinny. Slim leg is straighter in the calf and ankle. This allows your hem to cover part of your shoe, making you look taller. The extra width of your hem also offers balance to your hips.
2. Tuck them into boots. This creates a mock ‘bootleg’ affect. If you have short legs, you elongate your legs by wearing pants and boots in the same colour.
3. Nip the waist. Many women tend to wear long baggy tops over skinny pants. Rather wear fitted tops that emphasise your waist. This makes your legs look like they start from your waist and not the end of your top. If you really want to wear a loose fitting top either wear tops that fit in the waist and flare at the hem or, partially tuck in the baggy top and put a tailored jacket over it to give you shape.
4. Wear mid to high-rise skinny pants. This works to elongate your legs as it allows you to wear shorter tops. To show off the extra length, if you have a flattish tummy, tuck in your tops. This also helps to give shape to your loose fitting tops and blouses.