Nairobi - Many a time, women are advised not to use soap to clean the vagina.
Do they know the healthy ways to clean? Here are some easy ways to keep the area clean and fresh smelling.
1. Guava leaves – If you live in the hotter parts of Kenya where guavas thrive, you are a lucky woman because guava tree leaves will help clear any odor or discharges that you may have. You will need to boil the leaves in a pot of water until the water comes down to half its original quantity. Let it cool then use it to wash your private parts. Do this thoroughly twice a day.
2. Natural yoghurt(plain and unsweetened) – Yoghurt goes a long way in maintaining the correct levels of good bacteria in your vagina. In addition to eating your daily share of yoghurt, you can also apply yoghurt directly to your vagina. It is best done at night. Dip a fresh tampon in a tub of yoghurt and insert in the vagina. Remove it in the morning and rinse your thoroughly.
3. Raw garlic – Garlic has powerful antifungal properties. To cleanse your lvagina and keep fungal infections at bay, attach a clean string on one garlic clove and insert the clove in your V leaving the string dangling for easy removal. Leave the clove in for at least six hours. You can also make a paste out of garlic cloves and apply it directly to your vagina. The paste will sting a bit when it comes into contact with your skin but the freshness that you will feel afterwards will be worth it.
4. Salt – Itching in the vagina is usually caused by bacteria. Salty water can get rid of this bacteria. Plain salt is too strong to be rubbed on the vagina. You can enjoy its benefits by diluting a bit of it in salty water and using the water to cleanse. If you have a bath, add some salt into your bath water. Make sure that you do not have any sores or bruises in your genital areas as the salt will sting.
5. Baking soda – Baking soda does help in balancing PH levels in a woman’s genitals. Dissolve a teaspoon full in a glass of lukewarm water and drink; or pour baking soda in your bath water and soak in it. Make sure to dry properly with a clean towel after the bath.
6. Ice Cubes – They are an instant remedy when lady V gets itchy. The urge to itch down there mostly comes during warm weather. Place a few ice cubes on a piece of cloth or directly on the itchy area for instant relief.