It’s nearly time for the biggest award show of the year! The Oscars will take place on 28 February and while many of our favourite films of the last year didn’t get a mention, we’ll still be watching (if only to see if Leonardo DiCaprio finally gets his well-deserved Oscar).
But before the big day arrives, we get to talk about who we think will win, who will wear what and what will be in the luxurious goodie bags!
According to Harper’s Bazaar, the swag bag (which, unfortunately, doesn’t contain hot sauce) includes many lavish gifts including personalised M&Ms (R4590), a 10-day all expenses paid trip to Israel (over R840 000), a Vampire Breast Lift (over R29 000) and a Nuelle Fiera arouser (read: vibrator) for her (R3808).
This year’s goodie bag is 40% more expensive than last year’s one which was worth R2.4 million. But it isn’t authorised by the Academy. According to Variety, the Academy has denied any association with the gift bags compiled by Distinctive Assets as this year they’re planning to sue the company.
The marketing company has apparently been promoting the goods inside the bags with slogans such as “Everyone Wins at the Oscars! Nominee Gift Bags” and has received lots of exposure by presenting the gift bags to the nominees every year. In 2015, the Academy asked for the company to issue disclaimers saying they have no association with the Academy. The complaint filed by the Academy said the media coverage of the bags has focused on the “less-than-wholesome nature” of the gifts (which include a marijuana vape pen and plastic surgery voucher).
This association, may further tarnish the Academy’s already less than pristine image – especially after the #OscarsSoWhite controversy.
This is everything included in the extravagant gift bag:
- Haze Dual Vaporizer (R3810)
- Personalized M&Ms (R4572)
- A 10,000-meal donation made in the nominee's name to an animal shelter or rescue of their choice (R95 851)
- A lifetime supply of Pu-erh Tea Nourishing Cream and Pu-erh Tea Cleansing Bar (R475 441)
- A year's worth of Audi car rentals from Silvercar (R684 654)
- 10-day all-expenses-paid trip to Israel (R838 117)
- Tribute video services (R1901)
- Caolion Ultimate Pore Care gift set (R2038)
- Healing Saint Luminosity skin serum and hair follicle stimulant (R2936)
- Private 15-day walking tour of Japan (R821 550)
- 10 personal training sessions with Alexis Seletzky (R13 693)
- Belldini gift certificate (R 4571)
- Chapstick (R91)
- Chocolatines Drunken Fig Cake Bites (R532)
- Dandi Patch anti-perspirant solution (R319)
- Delovery gift basket (R30 428)
- Druzy earrings (R991)
- Fit Club TV "Ultimate Fitness Package" (R95 006)
- Gleener on the Go (R182)
- 3-day stay at the Golden Door Resort & Spa in San Marcos, CA (R73 029)
- 3-night stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, Italy (R76 072)
- 3-night stay at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo in Lake Como, Italy (R76 072)
- Greenhill Blanc de Blancs wine (R593)
- Hydroxycut Gummies (R304)
- 3 fitness training sessions with Jay Cardiello (R21 325)
- Joseph's Toiletries toilet paper (R4188)
- Sterling silver necklace (R2282)
- Memobottles (R714)
- El Silencio Mezcal (R1141)
- Mission1 protein bar (R91)
- Nuelle Fiera arouser for her (R3808)
- Phantom Glass screen protector (R761)
- Purely Inspired Organic Protein (R304)
- Rouge Maple culinary products (R1508)
- Sedone Lace makeup brush set (R1674)
- Signature Vodka (R1065)
- Slimware plates (R456)
- Steamist spa system (R77 075)
- Sundial powder coating (R7611)
- Blow dryers and flat irons (R3805)
- Vampire Breast Lift (R28 941)
- Wallet (R1902)
- 740 Park plastic surgery (R84 186)
Follow Women24 Twitter and like us on Facebook.