Abuja - President Muhammadu Buhari has disclosed that 11 595 persons captured by the Boko Haram sect were freed between May 29, 2015 when he was inaugurated and February 2016, Punch reports.
This was contained in a document tagged “Fact sheet on President Muhammadu Buhari’s first year in office” made available to journalists by the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity.
The document highlighted the achievements of the administration under categories such as security, anti-corruption war, economy, power, environment and judiciary among others.
The statement read in part, “The relocation of the Nigerian Military Command Centre to Maiduguri, since May 2015, contributed to the success in the fight against insurgency in the North Eastern part of the country.
“As of February 2016, the total number of persons rescued by the Nigerian troops during the ongoing operations in the North-East came to 11,595.
“Since December 2015, the well-motivated and rejuvenated Nigerian military have regained all Nigerian territories previously under Boko Haram control.”
News24 reported how one of the victims, Paulina Jabina on Thursday described the ordeal she and other abductees go through in the camp of the terrorists.
She said they were used to satisfy their sexual desires and were always assaulted by the terrorists.
Paulina said she was in Sambisa forest for a year before she escaped. She said the treatment from the terrorists was terrible as they were sometimes beaten.
- News 24