Ibadan - Twenty two Nigerians died during this
year’s holy pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
Uba Mana, the head of Information, National Hajj Commission of
Nigeria (NAHCON), disclosed this on Tuesday in a telephone interview
with our correspondent.
Mana, who did not give the state by state break down of the figure,
said that majority of the victims, died of natural causes, and had been
buried in Saudi Arabia in accordance with Islamic rites.
He said the death toll was lower than that of the previous years, due
to adequate medical arrangement provided by the commission.
Mana also attributed the low casualty rate to the awareness created
by the Commission on personal hygiene and the performance of a
NAN reports that 44 pilgrims died in 2011 and 36 pilgrims in 2012 out
of the over 95 000 pilgrims who performed the hajj in each of the
Speaking on the transportation of pilgrims back home, Mana said the
commission was able to complete the exercise four days ahead of the November 19 deadline given to it by the Saudi Arabia authorities.
Mana commended the conduct of pilgrims throughout the exercise,
saying that there was no reported case of misbehaviour on the part of
any Nigerian, capable of tarnishing the good image of the country.
NAN recalls that the remaining pilgrims and officials came back with
the last flight on Friday November 15, concluding the return journey, which
began on October 19.
The inaugural flight to Saudi Arabia, which took off from Maiduguri on Saturday, September 14, was concluded on October 9.