Akure - No fewer than 38 persons died and 206 injured in various accidents in Ondo State in the first quarter of 2013.
The Sector Commander of Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mrs Mary Wakawa told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Akure that incidents occurred between January and March.
Wakawa noted that the number of deaths occurred in 64 accidents which involved many vehicles; such as private, commercial and traveller from other states.
"This shows a reduction in the number of accidents recorded in the same period in 2012 in the state where, 77 people died and 423 were injured."
Wakawa also said that about 275 people had been prosecuted in this first quarter of 2013 who were involved in various traffic crime offences.
The sector commander expressed concerned over the road accidents in the state in spite of the awareness by the Corps on the rules and regulations that guide the road.
She attributed the cause of accidents to over speeding, over loading, wrong over-taking and dangerous driving by the motorists in the state and travelers from other state.
Wakawa appealed to motorists to obey traffic signs and check the road worthiness of their vehicles before embarking on any journey.