Calabar - The Commissioner of Police in Cross River, Jimoh Ozi-Obeh, on Sunday confirmed the release of five workers of Macmahon Construction Company abducted on June 22.
Two Australians, one South African and two Nigerians were seized by gunmen at Edundun Bridge in Akpabuyo Local Government Area of Cross River.
The police said their driver was killed during the attack.
Ozi-Obeh told newsmen in Calabar that no ransom was paid to release the workers.
Also read: Search intensifies for 7 kidnapped; 5 of which are foreigners
He said the success recorded during the rescue was the result of the combined efforts of the security operatives with the support of the state government.
The Cross River Security Adviser, Jude Ngaji, also confirmed the release of the workers.
"I can confirm that they have been released. I was with them a short while ago.
"It is only the two Nigerians that had injuries while one or two others had some scars," he said.
Ngaji said the workers had been treated and that they had spoken with their family members.