Lagos- The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) on Thursday said it disagreed with the preliminary reports on the Baga tragedy.
In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed in Lagos, the party called for a thorough investigation.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the military high command and NEMA have submitted a preliminary report on the Baga face-off.
The face-off was between the suspected Boko Haram members and the Joint Military Task Force (JTF).
The party called for an urgent and independent investigation into the incidents of April 16 at Baga to establish the truth.
``The military high command said that only 36 people were killed, which means that there is the need to find what went wrong," the ACN said.
The party said that it would not conclude that all the destruction and the killings in Baga were carried out by soldiers.
``The truth is that, the military bears more responsibility anytime it is involved in a situation similar to that of Baga, or Odi and Zaki Biam before it.
``There is no doubt that Boko Haram, with its scorched earth tactics, may have engaged in actions that put the lives of civilians in jeopardy in Baga.
``But these insurgents have no rules of engagement like the military, and definitely do not value human lives.
``Therefore, the military, in engaging the insurgents in built-up areas, must strictly adhere to its rules of engagement,'' the party stated.
It restated its earlier statement that the killings in Baga might constitute crimes against humanity.
``Hence, the International Criminal Court , which opened a preliminary investigation of the Boko Haram crisis last year must also include the Baga tragedy," the ACN said