Abuja - The Australian Government says it has contributed ? 8.7 million to the Nigeria Ebola Virus Emergency Appeal launched by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
A statement issued on Thursday in Abuja by the Australian High Commission in Abuja, said the donation would assist in purchasing vital personal protection equipment for health workers combating the deadly disease.
The Australian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Jonathan Richardson, was quoted as saying that the funds would be used to improve training in epidemic control techniques for Red Cross volunteers.
Richardson also said it would help to spread good messages on health education and hygiene promotion across the country.
Also read: US lauds local response to Ebola outbreak
The statement by the High Commission explained that the funds came from the country’s Direct Aid Programme, which had already committed seven million dollars to tackle the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The Nigeria Ebola Virus Emergency Appeal was launched by the IFRC on August 11, to help deal with the growing threat of Ebola to Nigeria.
The majority of Australia’s contribution to prevent the spread of Ebola has been through the World Health Organisation (WHO), in addition to the 17.5 million dollars it provides annually to support the WHO’s global health activities.