Maiduguri - The Joint Task Force (JTF) on Operation Restore Order (ORO) on Saturday confirmed the killing of a suspected Boko Haram commander, Mohammed Chad, during a special operation in Maiduguri.
JTF's spokesman, Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa, made this known via a statement in Maiduguri on Saturday.
"A special operation was conducted at Ruwan-Zafi area of Maiduguri by troops of the JTF and operatives of the State Security Services (SSS) last Friday.
"The operation led to the death of a notorious terrorist commander, a.k.a. Mohammed Chad, an indigene of Marte, Borno, who had been on the wanted list of the JTF," the statement said.
It said that the late Chad was linked to many terrorist attacks in Borno and other states in the recent past.
"Intelligence reports indicate that he was involved in the planning and execution of many terror attacks in and outside Borno.
"For instance, he masterminded the attack on Sanda Karami Secondary School at Ruwan Zafi on March 13, where a teacher was killed and some female students injured.
"He is believed to be the successor to the late Ba'ana Assalafi, a key commander who lost his life during a shootout with security agencies in Sokoto on March 13," the statement added.