Abuja - The military said an unspecified number of Boko Haram terrorists had voluntarily surrendered with their weapons fearing imminent defeat in Borno State.
The development follow the recent relentless onslaught by troops against the terrorists group in Konduga.
This was disclosed in a statement from the Defense Headquarters in Abuja.
“Some of them submitted themselves and their weapons to the leadership of the troops in Konduga during a further campaign at the weekend. As the heat on the terrorists continues, five terrorists surrendered on Saturday (Sept. 20) with all their weapons to troops at Konduga pleading for mercy,” the statement read.
Also Read:4 killed in Boko Haram attack in Cameroon
The Defense added that other terrorists who refused to surrender have also been giving useful information on the subsequent plans of the group in an apparent effort to cooperate.
The Defense Headquarters recalled that in the last few days, troops had foiled several attempts by desperate terrorists to gain entry into Konduga.
The terrorists’ move, according to the statement, was aimed at recovering the bodies of their prominent fighters who died in previous encounters in the area.
The Defense Headquarters also said that its troops had recovered more weapons during mop-up operations while some of their terrorists’ vehicles had been destroyed.
- CAJ News