Yola - The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Wednesday confirmed that 4,000 persons were affected by the January 26 attack on Kawuri, Konduga Local Government Area, Borno, by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.
A statement by NEMA’s Information ffiOcer, North East Zone, Abdulkadir Ibrahim, in Yola said over 2 000 were also internally displaced after the raid.
The statement said the agency had so far received report from one local government area in Borno.
It said although it was feared that the attack also affected some people in Adamawa.
The statement said: “On 26/01/2014 at about 5:00 p.m., NEMA and Red Cross officials, in company of security personnel, were at konduga Local Government Area.''
It said the internally displaced persons were camped at College of Business & Management Studies and Central Primary School, Konduga.
“The village was attacked by unknown gunmen on Sunday. This assessment was carried out to ascertain the humanitarian assistance to be taken.
“Security arrangements are being made to convey relief materials like food, bedding and basic needs to cushion the effects of the displacement,” it said.
It said some of the affected persons were believed to have put up with their relatives and friends in neighbouring villages and towns.
The statement also said that NEMA would release report of other areas attacked after verifying the information available to it.