Abuja - Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, said his administration would not relent on the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by insurgents at Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State last year.
“We won't give up on the Chibok schoolgirls like I said two weeks ago. No sane parent gives up on a missing child. I have daughters and I know the love of a parent to the girl child,” the governor said.
He said for now, it was better to allow the military handle things, conduct their investigations and ascertain the identity of those rescued on Tuesday.
Hopes were raised the girls from Chibok had been rescued after the military freed about 300 females from the Sambisa Forest on Tuesday.
It emerged none of these were from Chibok.
Also Read: Senator blames army for failure to rescue minors
“Irrespective of the identity of the girls, we are very happy they have been rescued whether they are citizens of Borno or anywhere else.
We have abiding faith in God that he will see us through these times and we shall overcome the temporary but traumatic moment of griefs. God will set Chibok girls and all Nigerians free from fear and the brutality of Boko Haram insurgents and others in their league,” said Shettima.
The governor stated that they were particular about Chibok schoolgirls because of the peculiar manner in which they were abducted.
“The Chibok schoolgirls are very dear to my heart because they were kidnapped while they were in school. Their abduction is very symbolic because their kidnappers are opposed to western education especially female education.”
“The entire world especially myself, is desperate about the rescue of the Chibok schoolgirls in order not to allow the ideology held by the insurgents to thrive and to encourage education which is the foundation of any human or society that seeks to develop,” he added.
Shettima commended the military for rescuing 200 girls and 93 women from the notorious terrorists’ Sambisa hideout.
- CAJ News