Maiduguri - The Minister of State for Power, Mohammed Wakil, on Sunday blamed the prolonged power outage in Borno on sabotage and insurgency.
Wakil made the announcement in a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media Olawale Rasheed in Maiduguri.
The statement said that government had made several attempts at restoring the power supply, which was cut off in June 2014 after a suspected terror attack on the Damboa Power Sub-station.
"The Federal Ministry of Power has repeatedly moved to reconnect Maiduguri to national grid but insurgency and sabotage have so far delayed the realisation of that goal.
Also read: Insurgency: Jubilation in Mubi as Emir returns
"In the last seven months when the power lines and sub-station at Damboa were attacked, the ministry through the Transmission Company of Nigeria made at least seven attempts to rectify the problem but on each occasion the officials were attacked.''
The statement said that two other attempts to restore power were successfully accomplished with parts of Maiduguri enjoying electricity supply.
It, however, noted that the power supply was short-lived as the lines were again vandalised less than five hours after.
The statement said that the development prompted the ministry of power to seek assistance from the military on reconnection.