Maiduguri - The Borno government said on Wednesday that it has set aside N100 million annually for the education of the 57 escaped students of Government Girls' Secondary School (GGSS), Chibok.
Governor Kashim Shettima announced this when he received members of the state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Maiduguri.
Shettima, however, said that only 51 of the 57 girls would benefit from the gesture at the cost N1.4 million each.
"The state government is spending N1.4 million on each of the girls per annum to ensure that they have access to good and sound education.
"I wish to announce to you that government is in the process of sending the escaped Chibok girls to school to continue their education.
"We are actually sending them to schools around Zaria, Kaduna and Jos, so that they can have conducive learning environment,’’ he said.
Also Read: Extremists surrender in Nigeria and Cameroon
Shettima said the amount would cover the cost of tuition, accommodation, books, facilities and other fees charged by the schools.
He said that six of the 57 students had already secured scholarships from former Vice President Atiku Abubakar to enroll in his private school.
Shettima said that the rest of the students were expected to arrive in Maiduguri soon for the journey to their new schools.
He said that the government decided to invest the huge amount on the girls to give them a sense of belonging.
Over 270 students were abducted by suspected insurgents at the GGSS, Chibok, on April 14.
Fifty-seven of the girls escaped, while the remaining 200 still remain in captivity.