Abuja - Enraged women in Borno State pledged to brave the notorious Sambisa Game Reserve Forest in search of schoolgirls suspected Boko Haram terrorists abducted last week.
The vast forest is enclave of the terrorists.
The women, under the coalition of different women associations led by Prof. Hauwa Abdu Biu, addressed a press conference in Maiduguri on Wednesday where they expressed readiness to begin searches in the forest.
“We are ready to go into the bush and appeal to the Boko Haram sect to release our children to us,” the women said.
They said they could volunteer in their thousands of women to go into the forest and ask for the freedom of the schoolchildren.
Clad in black they alleged that President Goodluck Jonathan had not done enough to ensure the freedom of the girls.
“The president is sampling telling us that the lives of over 200 girls abducted in the bush since a week ago not important.”
They insisted that the abduction of innocent young girls violated their human rights, adding that it was a crime against humanity and was prohibited under international humanitarian law.
“Women in Borno State condemn in totality such acts of violence as attacks on schools deny children their rights to learn in a safe environment, thereby jeopardizing their future.”
The women also condemned all other attack including the Nyanya bombing that coincided with the abduction of the schoolgirls at Chibok Government School on Monday last week.
“While calling on the sect members to please release all those in their custody without harming them and, as a matter of urgency, lay down their arms and embrace dialogue, we wish to assure them of our motherly support towards rehabilitating them when the need arises.”
– CAJ News