Beijing - China said on Monday it had lodged a diplomatic protest over the fatal shooting of a Chinese worker in Maiduguri and demanded that the African nation take "concrete measures" to better protect its nationals.
Gunmen shot dead the Chinese construction worker on Friday last week, the second killing of a Chinese national in the region this month.
"China's foreign ministry pays high attention to this [incident]," ministry spokesperson Hong Lei told reporters.
The Chinese embassy in Nigeria immediately submitted a formal protest and "demanded that Nigeria take concrete measures to ensure the safety of Chinese nationals and institutions in the country," he said.
A Nigerian official confirmed last week that the Chinese worker was shot dead by unidentified gunmen at a construction site in the north-eastern Borno state, which has been hit hard by the radical Islamist group Boko Haram.
On 7 October, gunmen killed a Chinese national who was working for a construction company in the town of Gubio, near Maiduguri.