Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Corps seals up 3 private guard companies

08 January 2013, 16:24

Abuja - The FCT Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, on Tuesday, sealed up three illegal private guard companies in the territory.

They are Vault Security Company Ltd, Bright Star Security Ltd and E-Control Security Ltd. Mr Abdullahi Kofaroro, the FCT Commandant of the Corps, said the defaulting companies failed to honour several invitations requiring them to make amend.

Kofaroro, who was represented by the command’s Officer-in-Charge of private guard companies, Mrs Florence Akalawu, said the companies had been operating without meeting the requirements for setting up security companies. ``We served them several letters asking them to obtain the necessary clearance, but they failed to meet the requirements, and so we have no option than to close them down.

Kofaroro said that the defaulting companies were operating without obtaining the compulsory licence from the Corps and paying N500,000 registration fee.

``Also, one of the directors of a security company must be a retired security officer, but this requirement was not complied with by the affected companies.

``So, we had to close them down as they posed security threats to the society.’’

He explained that the inclusion of a retired officer in the management of a security company was to ensure that the necessary training was giving to security guards at all times.

``The companies will remain sealed until they meet all the requirements.

Any of them that re-opens its offices or removes the seal will be prosecuted,’’ Kofaroro said.

All efforts by News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) to speak to the owners of the affected companies proved abortive as they could not be reached.

The corps closed down 131 private guard companies nationwide between January 2011 and December 2012 for same reasons.

NAN

Tags nscdc
NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Williams Albert
Change has come to stay!

Fellow Nigerians rejoice and be glad for the change we have been yearning for has come, this change will ensure light and substantial progress. But first, let me be ethical by saying thank you for your votes which you all casted for the 'General'. Read more...

Submitted by
Magnus G. Oku
Annual One Nigeria Festival

Preparations for the annual One Nigeria Festival commenced yesterday At Abuja as Stakeholders and committee members started plans ahead of the massive October event. Read more...

Submitted by
Justice Nwafor
President Jonathan bids Nigerians...

President Goodluck Jonathan, in an emotion laden voice bid farewell to Nigerians and thanked them for their support during His six year stay in office. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Worst miilitary in Africa respond...

The only thing this army is good at is lying and killing sheikh Zakzaky’s innocent sons as they peacefully parade; raiding newspaper stands and burning BRT buses. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
58% of Igbos voted for Buhari - P...

We conducted a post-election survey to determine the prevailing determinants in the recently concluded March 28th presidential elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Samuel Ufot Ekekere
Life's lethal pencils

In spite of the downgrading use of pencils, it pokes its head towards human life to share salient points that can influence how we lead our lives. Read more...