A Federal High Court in Lagos on Monday adjourned ruling till Sept. 24 in the no-case submission filed by an Iranian and a Nigerian accused of importing arms into the country.
Azim Aghajani, an Iranian and Alli Jega, a Nigerian, are currently standing trial over importation of 13 containers of firearms into Nigeria in 2011.
The Federal Government had in a four-count charge arraigned the duo for allegedly importing arms and ammunition comprising bombs, grenades and rockets.
The government said the importation was done through Apapa Port, Lagos, without any licence by the Iranian authorities into Nigeria contrary to the Firearms Act, Laws of the Federation.
The accused, however, pleaded not guilty.
At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, Justice Okechukwu Okeke fixed Sept. 24 after counsel to the accused, Mr Chris Uche (SAN) and the prosecution counsel, Mrs Olufemi Fatunde, had adopted their written addresses.
Uche is asking for an order to discharge his clients, insisting that the prosecution had ``failed to prove its case’’.
``All the prosecution witnesses have not been able to link my clients to the crime. I urge the court to dismiss the charges and discharge them,’’ he said.
In her submission, Fatunde argued that she had been able to prove her case against the accused.
``I urge the court to dismiss the application of the accused and uphold the charges filed against them,’’ she said.