Calabar - No fewer than 80 Muslims from Cross River have been cleared to participate in this year’s Hajj in Saudi Arabia.
Alhaji Abdulkadir Bature, former Vice Chairman, Cross River State Muslims Pilgrims Welfare Board, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Calabar.
Bature said the pilgrims could not travel before now because their visas were not ready.
He said the pilgrims would travel in the first week of October for the Hajj.
He said the visas would be ready between Oct.7 and Oct. 8, adding that the state Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board which was dissolved in August this year, had yet to be reconstituted.
Bature also reacted to the deportation of 171 Nigerian female pilgrims by the Saudi authorities through the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano.
He said arrangements had been made to ensure that intending female pilgrims from the state visited the Holy Land with their male guardians.
"Intending female pilgrims from the state will go with their male guardians as stipulated by the Saudi law."