Warri - Dozens of people in southern Nigeria are dying of poisoning from home-brewed alcohol days after the moonshine was banned by health authorities.
Dr Simeon Ibufubara Manuel of the Rivers State Health Ministry says the toll has risen to 68 dead since May 31. Thirty-eight had died after officials on Tuesday banned the distillation and consumption of the brew, called ogogoro, or home-made gin.
Also read: Government bans consumption of local gin
The moonshine is made from the sap of palm trees, just like palm wine, but usually is adulterated with ethanol that can raise alcohol levels to as much as 60 percent. Health officials say hundreds of people are killed by such brews every year.
They say the latest rash of deaths started with a celebration at a restaurant known for dog meat stew.