Ado-Ekiti- The Oyo State Signage and Advertisement Agency on Tuesday began pulling down the billboards of some aspirants in next year’s governorship poll in Ekiti.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that among those affected were a former governor in the state, Ayo Fayose as well as former Deputy Governors, Abiodun Aluko and Bisi Omoyeni.
Others affected included Sen. Gbenga Aluko, Mr Peter Obafemi and a former member of the House of Representatives, Wale Aribisala.
The aspirants are all in the opposition PDP in the state.
NAN reports that officials of the agency carried out the exercise at about 10. a.m. in company with armed mobile policemen.
But Fayose described the removal of the billboards as `` purely political.’’
He said the removal of the bill boards was a ploy to give the impression that PDP was not on ground in the state.
``It is sad that the billboard that has also been in my house in the last seven years was removed and destroyed by agents of government without any notice.’’
`` They came as early as 7.30 a.m. before we arrived at our offices and destroyed all our billboards. This is purely politics of intolerance,’’ he said.
Fayose claimed that nobody brought any signage bill to him for payment on his billboards.
He, however, said the incident had been reported to the State Police Command as well as other police stations within the locality where the billboards were destroyed.
Confirming the development, the Director-General of the State Signage and Advertisement Agency, Mr Adewole Ajakaiye, said those affected may have defaulted in the payment of their charges.
He debunked insinuations that government embarked on the removal to shut opposition parties out of the public space.
Ajakaiye, who described those peddling the rumour as idle, said: “Anyone who is affected may have defaulted in the payment of charges.’’