Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

FG revokes Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Bi-Courtney concession

20 November 2012, 14:48

Abuja - The Federal Government on Monday announced the termination of the concession of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway granted to Bi-Courtney Consortium in May 2009.

The Minister of Works, Mr Mike Onolememen, announced the termination of the contract while briefing State House Correspondents in Abuja.

He said the termination of the contract followed the failure of the consortium to reach ``financial close’’ as provided for in the concession agreement.

``The termination of the concession is consequent on the serial breaches of the concession agreement by Bi-Courtney consortium and especially the failure of the company to reach financial close as provided for in the agreement,’’ he said

According to him, due to the senseless carnages on this important expressway which is part of Arterial Route A1, the Federal Government had also decided to embark on the emergency reconstruction of the expressway.

He said the ministry had engaged the services of Julius Berger Plc., and RCC Nigeria Limited to commence work immediately on the reconstruction of the expressway.

``While Julius Berger would handle section 1: from Lagos to Shagamu interchange, RCC Nigeria Limited will be responsible for section II: from Shagamu to Ibadan.

``The Federal Government wishes to assure Nigerians that while it will continue to uphold the sanctity of contracts entered into, it will not shy away from implementing provisions of the contract agreement dealing with non-performance on the part of the contracting party.’’

President Goodluck Jonathan had on Nov. 18 said during a Presidential Media chat that his administration would soon take a definite decision on the concessionary agreement with the Consortium over the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway contract.

Jonathan noted that there were signs that the concessionaire was not capable of handling the project, noting that the road, being the busiest in the country, needed urgent government attention.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the contract, valued at N89.53 billion for a period of 25 years, was announced by former minister of Information, Prof. Dora Akunyili in 2009.


NAN

NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Gone but not fallen: Tribute to C...

To the list of our recent heroes, departed but not fallen adds one more martyr; one more mighty warrior, Colonel Kabiru Salisu. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
US: African Star Amida Brimah’s U...

The UConn Huskies defeated the Kentucky Wildcats 60-54 to win the NCAA Final four title with the team that includes African, Amida Brimah.  Read more...

Submitted by
G_STICKS
God Bless Nigeria

Nigeria is a country that is blessed, but the evil ones are trying to corrupt and destroy it. Read more...

Submitted by
Osuji Eric
The politics of Imo State

The politics in Imo State of Nigeria has became a national cake where everybody came and collected his own share.  Read more...

Submitted by
Moses Frank
$458 million to become a weapon o...

The $458 million of the Abacha loot would become a weapon of mass destruction if it is given to Nigeria by the US. Read more...

Submitted by
Rotimi Opeyeoluwa
Fayose weill bring about a return...

The speculation had been rife for some time that Abuja, nay the ruling People’s Democratic Party, (PDP), has long concluded plans about capturing the South-West at all cost. Read more...