Minna - The Niger Fire Service said on Monday that 48 houses were damaged in several fires across the state in 2012.
Mr Isah Ibrahim, Head of Fire Prevention Department, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna that 49 houses caught fire, one was saved while 48 were damaged.
He said that no life was lost in the incident, attributing 98 per cent causes of the incidents to electrical faults allegedly due to carelessness in handling appliances.
Ibrahim also said the houses affected were mostly residential, adding that the service had embarked on sensitisation enlighten of residents to manage electricity in their homes.
The officer advised residents to keep their surroundings clean of weeds to prevent them from attracting fire due to indiscriminate bush burning by farmers or hunters.
He also advised cigarette smokers to provide ash trays in their cars and houses before smoke.
"If you must smoke, make sure you settle down at a place and put it off before stuffing it into the ash tray or else you may be attracting fire."
He said the service had partnered with the Federal Road Safety Commission and the Vehicle Inspection Office to prevent motorists from carrying petrol and other inflammables in their vehicles.
Ibrahim also warned members of the public not to store petrol in their residences to prevent fire.